This reserve has been owned by the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust since 1993 when it was donated by Mr & Mrs Burks of Reed Pond House, Lambley. The reserve includes an area of unimproved grassland covering 11/2 hectares and a spring fed pond which covers 1/3 of a hectare.
About the Reserve
There is documentary evidence that a rectory or parsonage had existed to the west of the Reed Pond, between the reserve and Church Street since the mid-14th Century. The last rectory was demolished in 1974 to make way for the houses that stand on the site today. It is thought that the original pond was a stew pond providing fish for the clergy’s table. The outline of the pond is marked on the 1609 Sherwood Forest Map and the “Reed Pond” was in existence by the time of the Tithe Award Map of 1841. The pond was eventually drained or filled in, whether naturally or deliberately is unknown, but at Easter 1974, Mr Burks was able to restore water to the site by excavating a trench on the south side, lining it and then back-filling. Subsequent mining subsidence has enlarged the pond.
The grassland went ungrazed until 1995 when Hereford cattle were introduced. Remnant plant populations of old meadow species such as lady’s smock, lady’s bedstraw, meadow foxtail and crested dog’s tail grow on the site. Lesser celandine forms extensive carpets during the early spring and Norfolk reed, water dock, wild garlic, pignut and greater pond sedge are also found.
Fox, mole, common shrew, and grey squirrel are regularly recorded on the site and in 1988 water voles were resident, but have not been seen in recent years. Whitethroat, mallard, reed bunting and moorhen breed on the reserve and occasionally herons and kestrels may be seen. A diverse range of butterflies have been recorded, including speckled wood, but only a few species of dragonfly and damselfly have been seen.
For some pictures of the reserve please go to our flickr set
The Wildlife Trust aims to continue the grazing regime in order to re-establish the diversity of the meadow and other work to realise the wildlife potential of the pond and surrounding wetland habitat. Lack of grazing had allowed development of rank vegetation and the meadow had become dominated by nettle, cow parsley, thistle and greater willowherb. Grazing by the Hereford cattle has been extremely successful in controlling the dominant vegetation, but it will take some years of continued grazing before the diversity of the meadow is re-established. The pond too, requires considerable work. At present it lacks submerged vegetation and therefore the pond, for its size, has very few freshwater invertebrate species.
How to get there
The reserve is situated to the east of Lambley village (SK634453) on the Lowdham Road opposite the cemetery. If using sat nav enter NG4 4QJ and follow the preceding instructions. It is open to the public with a footpath running through the site accessed by kissing gates installed by Lambley Parish Council.
If you would like further details about the reserve, or if you are interested in getting involved in the management of the site, please call the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust Office on 0115 958 8242