Discover nature with us at our events or on our nature reserves
Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust has welcomed thousands of pupils from schools, and delivered an inspiring range of hands-on nature activities which are enjoyable, memorable, relevant and designed to bring pupils of all school age closer to their natural environment, as well as boosting achievement and improve practical skills and knowledge across all key-stages
Why visit us?
- Our environmental education is packed with learning opportunities, delivered by qualified leaders and experts.
- Visiting our reserves will make a real difference; inspiring pupils, boosting achievement and personal and social development.
- We have some of the UK’s most scientifically important nature reserves here in Nottinghamshire, for pupils to explore and discover whatever the weather or season.
- We deliver education at our three flagship nature reserves Attenborough, Idle Valley and Skylarks, each promising memorable and positive learning experiences.
- We provide activities and accessible facilities for pupils with access and learning needs.
- Our education centres are fantastic places to introduce everyone to the wonders of the natural world. We have dedicated education staff who run year-round, seasonally-based programmes, open to all schools as well as community groups of all ages.
Schools and formal education
Both sites offer a range of different habitats to explore and investigate. Our qualified education team are experienced in working with groups of children and young people, along with pupils with access and learning needs. Sessions are also assisted by a dedicated and enthusiastic team of volunteers.
We offer a range of activities for each Key Stage and tailored to curriculum themes, and our programmes are open all year round.
The Engagement Team are creating new content for this page. We are developing a new menu of activities for all ages. Please contact us for more information about visits or for general enquiries, and read our current pricing structure. Alternatively, you can phone our engagement team on 0115 9721777.
Further and Higher Education
Our nature reserves across Nottinghamshire offer a wealth of fantastic opportunities for students in Further and Higher Education. We are passionate about providing unique and specialist learning opportunities for students and can offer tours and talks for student groups and study / research opportunities.
Our suite of training courses for adults covers a wide range of wildlife related subjects including species identification, survey skills, art, photography and more. Every course is led by experienced professionals who are experts in their fields. Courses are graded for beginners, intermediate and advanced levels to help you to identify which course is suitable for you.
Delivered from Attenborough Nature Centre and Idle Valley Rural Learning Centre, our Wildlife Training Courses promise a rewarding learning experience delivered on some of the most diverse and habitat rich wildlife environments in the county. We have information about any upcoming courses and how to book on our events page.
Our children's parties offer something a little bit different. We like our party guests to have an amazing time - but also get outdoors in the fresh air and learn something about nature and wildlife. Our experienced party leaders know how excite children about wildlife and the outdoors through games, art, treasure trails and searching out Attenborough's animals and plants.
Parties are held at weekends throughout the year and any day during school holiday periods (subject to availability).
To book a party please contact our engagement team or alternatively phone on 0115 9721777.
We are currently unable to accept any applications for work experience placements for young people.
We offer a wide ranging programme at the reserves listed below including half and full day programmes with schools and community groups, training courses for adults, family events, children’s wildlife clubs and birthday parties, guided walks, illustrated talks and much more.